Making remarkable wines since 1844.
With age comes character.
From a soil that had never grown grapes and winemakers that had never made wine, came the very first bottles of Penfolds.
We are borne from pioneers who had curiosity and just 'had a go'. In 1844 Dr Christopher and Mary Penfold arrived in the new world onboard the Taglioni with a vine cutting and a bold vision.
The family purchased 500 acres of ‘the choicest land’ in early colonial South Australia and set about inventing tonics, brandies, and fortified wines made from grapes and Australian sunshine.
From unknown soils in a faraway land, a world class winery grew.
The Noble Explorer
Dr Christopher Penfold
Christopher Rawson Penfold began it all. A doctor, with an eye for medicinal winemaking, he and his wife, Mary sought a new life in Australia. One filled with hope and prosperity.
They found it in Magill Estate, near Adelaide. Here, Christopher planted vines and set in motion philosophies that remain with us to this day.
The Commander in Chief
As with the time, Christopher was seen at the forefront of the winery. However, behind every great man is a great woman. Mary Penfold is the unsung chief of Penfolds with many of experimentations, growth and winemaking philosophies originating from her.
Everything she knew about wine, she taught herself – insisting on having the grapes blended to her own taste. A woman standing confidently at the helm of a thriving business in the 1800s was unheard of. She’d command from a white mare, watching over the vineyard with her treasured spyglass close at hand.
“Grapes of all kinds are used, the uniformity which is so great a consideration, is secured by blending the wines when they are two or three years old.
This is done under Mrs Penfold's personal supervision, not in conformity with any fixed and definite rule but entirely according to her judgment and taste.”