Penfolds Chief Winemaker Peter Gago says the latest release Bin wines from the 2008 vintage could well be the strongest Bins release to be delivered from the first decade of this century.
The latest Bins launch also celebrates a new addition to the collection—the Bin 150 Marananga Shiraz— a sub-regional expression of Barossa Valley Shiraz—while Bin 28 Kalimna® Shiraz reaches a 50th commercial release milestone.
Although the new Bin 150 and the 50th Bin 28 are major highlights, Peter says the overall quality of the 2008 Penfolds intage deserves the biggest celebration, considering the 15-day heatwave that put an end to prevailing near-perfect South Australian conditions.
“The 2008 harvest is certainly a vintage of two parts— a statement pertaining to the profound differences of fruit picked before and after the extreme SA heatwave of March 3-16,” Peter said.
“It was an early, compressed and fast intake in the last week of February and first week of March but we were fortunately able to pick a very large proportion of our premium fruit before the heat impacted— enabled by enough awaiting fermentation space to handle the accelerated and rapid intake. Much of our better fruit comes from older, self-regulating vines of lower yield… vines that physiologically ripen earlier. Retrospectively, quite opportune in a year with an ill-timed heatwave!For the record, Magill Estate Shiraz picking started on Feb 5 in 2008…”
“The quality of our 2008 Bin wines is naturally also testament to the prowess of our viticultural team, including George Taylor, Adam Brown and Dean Willoughby— who were able to harvest some fantastic fruit and expertly handle the logistics of picking— enabling the fruit to arrive intact at the winery before the heat took its toll. Weighted-average vintage charts may not do justice to the South Australian 2008 harvest. Penfolds reds will punch above the average,” Peter said.
The complete Bin collection for 2011 includes:
- 2008 Penfolds Bin 389 Cabernet Shiraz—RRP: $64.99
- 2008 Penfolds Bin 150 Marananga Shiraz—RRP: $64.99
- 2008 Penfolds Bin 407 Cabernet Sauvignon—RRP: $54.99
- 2008 Penfolds Bin 28 Kalimna® Shiraz—RRP: $33.99
- 2009 Penfolds Bin 128 Coonawarra Shiraz—RRP: $33.99
- 2009 Penfolds Bin 138 Grenache Shiraz Mourvèdre—RRP: $29.99
- 2010 Penfolds Bin 23 Adelaide Hills Pinot Noir—RRP: $39.99
- 2010 Penfolds Bin 311 Tumbarumba Chardonnay—RRP: $39.99
- 2011 Penfolds Bin 51 Eden Valley Riesling—RRP: $29.99 (to be released later in 2011)
Click on the download button below to read the full article.